Eagleware Genesys 6.5B - RF Cafe Forums

RF Cafe Forums closed its virtual doors in late 2012 mainly due to other social media platforms dominating public commenting venues. RF Cafe Forums began sometime around August of 2003 and was quite well-attended for many years. By 2012, Facebook and Twitter were overwhelmingly dominating online personal interaction, and RF Cafe Forums activity dropped off precipitously. Regardless, there are still lots of great posts in the archive that ware worth looking at. Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts. Here is the full original RF Cafe Forums on Archive.org

-- Amateur Radio

-- Anecdotes, Gripes, & Humor

-- Antennas

-- CAE, CAD, & Software

-- Circuits & Components

-- Employment & Interviews

-- Miscellany

-- Swap Shop

-- Systems

-- Test & Measurement

-- Webmaster

hank7hp
 Post subject: Eagleware Genesys 6.5B
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 pm 

Lieutenant

Anyone have any experience with running Genesys 6.5B under Windows 7 without using XP ?

Kirt Blattenberger
 Post subject: Re: Eagleware Genesys 6.5B
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:51 pm 

Site Admin

Greetings:

I'm guessing that version is a 16-bit application. The only way to get it to run on Windows 7 is if you are using the 32-bit version of Win 7. If you have the 64-bit version, the only way to get it to run is by using MS's emulator and running a copy of Windows XP within it. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the way it is. :(

If you have the Professional version of Win 7, the capability is included. Otherwise, you have to download the emulator from MS (free), and then install a copy of Win XP (not free) to use with it. BTW, you can run Linux and other OSes within the emulator as well.

Here is the Genesys user forum on the Agilent website.

https://forums.tm.agilent.com/community ... .php?f=411

Take care.

- Kirt Blattenberger :smt024

RF Cafe Progenitor & Webmaster

hank7hp
 Post subject: Re: Eagleware Genesys 6.5B
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am 

Lieutenant

Hi Kirt - Thanks very much for info - Its probably a huge stretch but my older version 5.3 is caled Eagleware System 32 - which MIGHT mean it was already a 32 bit program then . My version 6.5B CD does not say system 32 but IF 5.2 was , I am sure 6.5B would be 32 bit .

I do not have any version of Windows 7 yet but am getting ready to replace my desktop and trying to decide which version to get. That was the reson for my question . Dell has an option that they install a "real" , not virtual machine , version of WinXP Pro and "give" you a CD to upgrade to W7 if you wish. From what I read , not sure I want to use the WXP on the virtual machine inside W7 Pro.

Dell calls it

"Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32-Bit with Downgrade Rights Service to Windows® XP Professional"

I would hope one could do a new partition and have a dual boot machine - the person I talked to at Dell today was negative about that but I suspect it is to avoid a lot of grief. (I have several old WXP programs that I use and they are just fine for my uses and I really don't want to spend a bunch of $$ for upgrades I really don't need. )

Thanks for the link to the Agilent forum . I had lost that , seems like last time I tried to use that , HP would not give me access because I was still with Ver 6.5B and had refused to pay $$$$ for an upgrade - so I got a permanent license and non battery key and was orphaned . Will see if that has changed.

Thanks again --

Hank

Posted  11/12/2012