Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ? - RF Cafe Forums

RF Cafe Forums closed its virtual doors in late 2012 mainly due to other social media platforms dominating public commenting venues. RF Cafe Forums began sometime around August of 2003 and was quite well-attended for many years. By 2012, Facebook and Twitter were overwhelmingly dominating online personal interaction, and RF Cafe Forums activity dropped off precipitously. Regardless, there are still lots of great posts in the archive that ware worth looking at. Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts. Here is the full original RF Cafe Forums on Archive.org

-- Amateur Radio

-- Anecdotes, Gripes, & Humor

-- Antennas

-- CAE, CAD, & Software

-- Circuits & Components

-- Employment & Interviews

-- Miscellany

-- Swap Shop

-- Systems

-- Test & Measurement

-- Webmaster

Mauro

Post subject: Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ? Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:56 am

Lieutenant

Dear all,

hoping to be in the right area.

I'd like to have a single chip with a mixer and a PLL integrated in it, in order to simplify the design of a multiple frequency converter in the 200-1400 MHz band.

I've found an obsolete chip by zarlink (SL2101). Zarlink sells its division to Intel, but Intel seem to not produce such a sort of IC. My question is: exist something similar by other producer ?

Another company is RFMD, but the price of teri chip is quite high.

Can you help me ??

troy

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ?Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:40 pm

Lieutenant

Well I was going to recommend the RFMD's line of integrated PLL/mixers, but evidently you've already ruled them out due to price.

https://products.rfmd.com/productselector.jsp?select_family=Integrated PLLMixers

What is your price target and what kind of quantities are you looking at? What is RFMD's proce for your app?

No I don't work for RFMD and I'm not a sales rep, just trying to help.

Mauro

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ?Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 am

Lieutenant

troy wrote:

Well I was going to recommend the RFMD's line of integrated PLL/mixers, but evidently you've already ruled them out due to price.

https://products.rfmd.com/productselecto ... Integrated PLLMixers

What is your price target and what kind of quantities are you looking at? What is RFMD's proce for your app?

No I don't work for RFMD and I'm not a sales rep, just trying to help.

The company where I work is quite small, so the quantities are really limited (100 to 1000 pcs/year). The price should be around 3 euros/pcs. Using discrete components the target is reachable. RFMD components cost at least the double of the supposed price. I can spend more, but not double the cost.

Diogenes the Cynic

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ?Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:33 am

Lieutenant

Have you checked out the NXP (formerly Phillips) line of mixer/oscillators? They appear to cover your frequency range, but I didn't check phase noise, tuning, etc.

https://www.nxp.com/search/?query=mixer+oscillator

Kirt Blattenberger

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know a substitution of ZARLINK SL2101 ?Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Site Admin

Greeting Mauro:

While at the IMS 2009 show in Boston on Tuesday, I was talking to the product manager of RFMD's "Slice" line (the RF205x family of products) about your requirement, and your comment about prices being too high for your budget.

https://products.rfmd.com/renderer.jsp?objectName=RF205x&partFamily=Integrated%20PLLMixers&objectType=parts&layoutName=Partsrend&userId=guest&password=guest12

He suggested that if you have not already done so, to contact Sales and let them know the details of what you need, because there can be cost cut out if, for instance, you only need to have production testing in a narrow band rather than across the full specified operational range.

I worked for RFMD for 6 years, but left a couple years ago, so I have no financial stake in the recommendation. I know the people there well and highly recommend everyone involved in bringing the product to market.

Jeff Cameron is the sales manager to talk to. Please call +1(336)664-1233 and ask for him. Tell him that Kirt was told by Alistair to have you call.

Thanks for participating in the RF Cafe Forums.

- Kirt Blattenberger

RF Cafe Progenitor & Webmaster

Posted  11/12/2012