How can I match 100K om to 12K om - RF Cafe Forums

RF Cafe Forums closed its virtual doors in late 2012 mainly due to other social media platforms dominating public commenting venues. RF Cafe Forums began sometime around August of 2003 and was quite well-attended for many years. By 2012, Facebook and Twitter were overwhelmingly dominating online personal interaction, and RF Cafe Forums activity dropped off precipitously. Regardless, there are still lots of great posts in the archive that ware worth looking at. Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts. Here is the full original RF Cafe Forums on Archive.org

-- Amateur Radio

-- Anecdotes, Gripes, & Humor

-- Antennas

-- CAE, CAD, & Software

-- Circuits & Components

-- Employment & Interviews

-- Miscellany

-- Swap Shop

-- Systems

-- Test & Measurement

-- Webmaster

cpeter

Post subject: How can I match 100K om to 12K om

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 pm

Lieutenant

I am doing a design:

AD9854 -> differential & quadrature signal -> 80MHz filter & match network? -> AD8346

And:

output impedance of AD9854: 100k om

input impedance of AD8346: 12k om

how can I design the filter & match circuit?

Thanks.

Peter

Post subject: Impedance matching?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:18 pm

Peter,

Your question leaves out some important information - such as the frequency range involved.

The impedances you cite are only accurate at very low frequencies. There is significant reactance present at any reasonable RF frequency. (There's both bond wire inductance and bonding pad capacitance to ground).

The implication is that you probably don't want to match 100k to 12k, since you really won't have it anyway! Digital-to-Analog converters are often driven into the summing junction of an operational amplifier - which is a "virtual ground". From the classical RF viewpoint, that's weird - but the DAC output is often essentially a current, which must be converted to a voltage.

Check out Analog Devices' application notes on the AD9854 - I'm sure that they don't show the kind of impedance-matching network you're asking for.

Good Luck!

cpeter

Post subject: Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:47 am

Lieutenant

You answer is very helpful, thanks a lot!

:D

Posted  11/12/2012