All RF Cafe Quizzes make great fodder for
employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are
fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it,
they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going
to be interviewed for a job. Bonne chance, Viel Glück, がんばろう,
buena suerte, удачи, in bocca al lupo, 행운을 빕니다,
ádh mór, בהצלחה, lykke til, 祝你好運.
Well, you know what I mean: Good luck!
Click here for the complete list of
RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Some material based on books have
1. What is a primary advantage to using 90° (quadrature) hybrid couplers in amplifier designs?
b) Low noise figure
c) Input/output impedance not dependent on devices as long as device
impedances are equal
2. Why is there a frequency term in the equation for free-space path loss?
a) There is no frequency
b) Atmospheric absorption
c) Antenna geometry requires it
3. If an amplifier has a noise temperature of 60K, what is its noise figure for an ambient
temperature of 290K?
a) 8.0 dB
b) 80 dB
c) 0.82 dB
4. What is a primary advantage of offset-quadrature-phase-shift-keying (OQPSK)
a) Greater data rates possible
b) Greater spectral efficiency
c) More constant
5. A mixer has the following input frequencies: RF = 800 MHz, LO = 870 MHz. The desired output
frequency is 70 MHz. What is the image frequency?
a) 940 MHz
b) 1670 MHz
c) 140 MHz
6. What is the spurious-free dynamic range of a system with IP3 = +30 dBm and a minimum
discernible signal (MDS) level of -90 dBm?
a) 80 dB
b) 120 dB
c) 60 dB
7. A spectrum analyzer displays a component at 10 MHz @ 0 dBm, 30 MHz @ -10 dBm, 50 MHz @ -14 dBm, 70 MHz @
-17 dBm, and all of the other odd harmonics until they disappear into the noise. What was the most likely input
signal that caused the spectrum?
a) A 10 MHz square wave (0 Vdc bias)
b) A 10 MHz triangle wave (0 Vdc
c) A 10 MHz cosine wave (0 Vdc bias)
8. On which side of a rectangular waveguide is an E-bend made?
a) The long dimension
c) The inside
9. During a network analyzer calibration, why are both a short circuit and an open circuit used?
They average to 50 ohms in an RF system
b) To determine the characteristic impedance of the measurement system
c) Both are easy to produce to at high accuracy
10. What is the first harmonic of 1 GHz?
a) 1 GHz
b) 2 GHz
c) 10 GHz
Need some help? Click here
for the answers and explanations.