November 1963 Popular Electronics
Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
published October 1954 - April 1985. All copyrights are hereby acknowledged.
Most of these matches of the devices and its inventor are pretty
easy for people who have been around electronics for any length
of time (well, not if the length of time is a day or two), but
a couple just might stump you. This Electronics Inventors Quiz
appeared in a 1963 edition of Popular Electronics, so you won't
be challenged with knowing the inventors of the LCD or MEMS
devices, but neither will you have to know who came up with
the abacus or the Archimedes screw :-).
Electronics Inventors Quiz
By Robert P. Balin
Electronic Inventors Quiz
1) Bardeen, Brattain, Shockley _____
2) De Forest _____
3) Edison _____
4) Faraday _____
5) Franklin _____
6) Lissajous _____
7) Roentgen _____
8) Weston _____
9) Wheatstone _____
10) Yagi _____
Popular Electronics published many quizzes over the years
- some really simple and others not so simple. Robert Balin created many of the quizzes.
This is a listing of all I have posted thus far.
- Diode Function
Quiz - August 1965
- Diagram Quiz, August
- TV Trouble Quiz,
- Electronics History Quiz,
- Scope-Trace Quiz,
Circuit Analogy Quiz, April 1973
Your Knowledge of Semiconductors, August 1972
- Ganged Switching
Quiz, April 1972
- Lamp Brightness
Quiz, January 1969
- Lissajous Pattern Quiz, September 1963
Quizoo, October 1962
- Electronic Photo Album Quiz, March 1963
- Electronic Alphabet Quiz, May 1963
- Quiz: Resistive?
Inductive? or Capacitive?, October 1960
- Vector-Circuit Matching Quiz, June 1970
Quiz, September 1961
- RC Circuit
Quiz, June 1963
- Diode Quiz,
- Electronic Curves Quiz, February 1963
- Electronic Numbers Quiz, December 1962
- Energy Conversion Quiz, April 1963
Function Quiz, June 1962
Factor Quiz, November 1966
Math Quiz, November 1965
- Series Circuit Quiz,
Electrochemistry Quiz, March 1966
- Electronic Analogy
Quiz, November 1961
Coupling Quiz, August 1973
- Electronics Analogy Quiz, August 1960
- Audio Quiz,
Unit Quiz, May 1962
Capacitor Circuit Quiz, June 1968
- Quiz on AC Circuit Theory, December 1970
- Magnetic Phenomena Quiz, February 1962
- Electronics Geography Quiz, April 1970
Electronic Menu Quiz, August 1963
- Electronic Noise Quiz, August 1962
- Electronic Current Quiz, October 1963
- Electronic Inventors Quiz, November 1963
Function Quiz, January 1962
- Electronic Measurement Quiz, January 1963
Tube Quiz, February 1961
- Kool-Keeping Kwiz, June
Inventors Quiz Answers
1 - F John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain, and William
B. Shockley invented the point-contact transistor in 1948.
2 - J Lee De Forest invented the grid
Audion, the first practical three-element amplifier tube, in
3 - E Thomas A. Edison invented
the cylinder phonograph, the forerunner of the modern record
4 - I Michael Faraday
discovered the principle of the electric motor in 1821, and
of the transformer in 1831.
5 - H Benjamin
Franklin invented the lightning rod in 1750.
G Jules A. Lissajous first observed the combination
of two waveforms now called "Lissajous figures"
in 1857. The effect is often seen when using the modern oscilloscope.
7 - B Wilhelm K. Roentgen first observed
the effects of "Roentgen rays," or X rays, in 1895.
8 - C Edward Weston invented the Weston cadmium
cell in 1893. It is still in worldwide use as a standard
of electromotive force or voltage.
9 - A
Sir Charles Wheatstone first demonstrated the bridge circuit
that now bears his name in 1843. It
was originally devised by Samuel H. Christi in 1833.
- D Hidetsugu Yagi developed his directional parasitic
element antenna in Japan in the early 1920·s
Posted January 3, 2013