All RF Cafe Quizzes make great fodder for
employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are
fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it,
they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going
to be interviewed for a job. Bonne chance, Viel Glück, がんばろう,
buena suerte, удачи, in bocca al lupo, 행운을 빕니다,
ádh mór, בהצלחה, lykke til, 祝你好運.
Well, you know what I mean: Good luck!
Click here for the complete list of
RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Some material based on books have quoted passages.
quiz challenges your knowledge of the history of familiar electronics products companies' name changes
(aka etymology). Many of you have lived through the plethora of acquisitions,
mergers, and name changes represented here. There might be more than one correct answer. You might need
a motion sickness pill when navigating all the changes. Wikipedia is used as the reference because I
know the historical information presented there is accurate (enough).
Skyworks Solutions designs and manufactures a wide variety of amplifiers, switches,
front-end modules, and other ICs and modules for wireless systems. From which company(s) did it come?
b) Conexant Systems
c) TriQuint Semiconductor
d) Alpha Industries
2. Keysight Technologies is a premier maker of test equipment of all types.
It has undergone multiple name changes. What was its original name?
b) Agilent Technologies
c) Hewlett Packard
d) Rohde & Schwarz
3. Qorvo manufactures RFICs and components for the cellphone and wireless
markets. Whence came it?
RF Micro Devices
b) Hittite Microwave
d) TriQuint Semiconductor
4. Freescale Semiconductor makes many types of RFICs for applications like
oscillators, amplifiers, and radio tuners. Which company recently bought it?
a) NXP Semiconductors
5. Fairchild Semiconductor's wide array of IC products includes those for
analog and RF applications. Can you name the company that most recently acquired it?
c) Sony Corporation
d) ON Semiconductor
6. Texas Instruments recently bought a very famous analog and analog IC producer.
Which company was it?
a) National Semiconductor
b) Renesas Electronics Corporation
c) Westinghouse Electric Company
7. Avago Technologies bought which well-known WiFi and Bluetooth RFIC product
b) Broadcom Limited
c) Boeing Commercial Electronics
Northrop Grumman Corporation
8. Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) was an early player in the fabless chip business,
making WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS RFICs. Which company most recently bought CSR?
b) Jameco Electronics
c) Radio Shack
d) British Aerospace Electronics
9. Linear Technology, a decades-long producer of analog ICs, was acquired
by which company in 2016?
a) Fairchild Electronics
b) ON Semiconductor
Need some help? Click here for the
answers and explanations.
Posted September 28, 2016