October 1963 Electronics World
Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
Electronics World, published May 1959
- December 1971. All copyrights hereby acknowledged.
This Electronic Crosswords
puzzle appeared in the October 1963 edition of Electronics World magazine.
About half the words used are related directly in some way to electronics or physics.
It's a fairly small puzzle so it shouldn't take you too long to complete. My
RF Cafe crosswords,
by the way, have 100% of the words directly related to the sciences, from a custom
lexicon I have created over 20 years of making puzzles. Enjoy.
By John D. Owens
1. Incombustible residue left after burning.
4. Types of potentiometer used primarily as an attenuator.
9. Slang for equipment.
12. Chemical suffix denoting salt.
13. Type of FM detector circuit.
14. One (Scots).
15. Circuit having parallel Rand C in one arm; series Rand L in the
18. Unrefined metal.
19. _________ conductors: class of solid materials characterized by high
22. You (German).
24. One electrode of a battery.
27. Island (French).
28. Tolerance value of silver in the resistor code.
29. That is.
31. Device having a tungsten filament and containing mercury or argon.
35. Altitude (abbr.).
36. Visible lines on a TV screen.
37. Secret agent.
38. Care for.
41. Geological formations
42. Teleost fish.
44. Day (Spanish).
45. Material used to maintain high frequency stability in a vacuum-tube
oscillator of a transceiver.
52. Part ownership in a business enterprise (abbr.).
53. Term used to indicate that current is being taken from a voltage
54. Former name of the industry's engineering society (abbr.).
55. Frequency bandwidth.
56. American poet.
57. System based on primary units of length, mass, and time (abbr.).
2. Depot (abbr.).
3. Six-electrode vacuum tubes.
4. Elm or oak.
6. Big body of water (abbr.).
7. Fishes in a particular way.
8. Angry (slang).
9. Receiver (colloq.).
10. Common word ending.
11. Make a right turn.
20. Operates photoelectric relay.
22. Polyphase winding connection.
25. Artificial illumination sources.
26. Catch sight of.
29. Suffix denoting chemical compounds.
32. Type of volume control.
33. First woman.
34. Possessing non-directional characteristics.
39. Close by.
41. Prefix meaning "not."
43. British for "Inc."
44. Unit of force.
45. Confirmation of radio communication among hams.
46. New channels (abbr.).
47. Metallic element (abbr.).
48. Top of a tube.
49. River, in Spain.
50. Silver (abbr.).
51. The (French).
Here are other electronics-themed crossword puzzles from vintage electronics
Cafe Crosswords here):
Answer to Electronic Crosswords
Posted November 4, 2022
(updated from original post