All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly
those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would make equally
excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed for a job.
Some of these books used in quizzes are available as
prizes in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted from
This quiz is based on the information presented in Handbook of RF, Microwave, and Millimeter-Wave Components, by Sergey M. Smolskiy, Leonid A. Belov, and Victor N. Kochemasov.
1. What type of switch is shown to the right?
a) Fail-safe switch
b) 4-pole-4-throw switch
c) Transfer switch
d) Normally open switch
2. What is an adapto-attenuator?
a) Combination connector between-series adaptor and an attenuator
b) An attenuator manufactured by the Adapto company
c) An adaptable/variable attenuator
d) A device for adapting attenuators
3. What do we call the difference in decibels of the power output at a coupled port, when power is transmitted in the desired direction, to the power output at the same coupled port when power is transmitted in the opposite direction?
4. What is the main use of a circulator?
a) To circularly polarize the signal
b) To separate the I and Q signal components
c) To omnidirectionally direct signals from one port specifically to another
d) To unidirectionally direct signals from one port specifically to another
5. What is a lumped element element filter?
a) A filter constructed of distributed elements
b) A filter constructed of standard wire-wound inductors and parallel plate capacitors
c) A filter approximation for mathematical modeling
d) No such thing
6. What is a very desirable feature of a YIG (yttrium-iron garnet) filter?
a) High Q factor
b) Electrically tunable over a wide bandwidth
c) High frequencies
d) All the above
7. What does the image to the right represent?
a) 4-QAM constellation
b) 16-QAM constellation
c) Quad-quad constellation
8. In which operational region of an amplifier is its1 dB compression point?
a) Low frequency region
b) High frequency region
c) Linear region
d) Nonlinear region
9. What is an image rejection mixer?
a) A mixer that prevents the image frequency from appearing at the output
b) A mixer that prevents the negative frequency from appearing at the output
c) A mixer that prevents the upper sideband from appearing at the output
d) A mixer that prevents the lower sideband from appearing at the output
10. What are the main electrical characteristics of a reference oscillator?
a) Package size, material (aluminum, steel, molybdenum, etc.), and weight
b) Connector type, input voltage, control signal pinout
c) Both a) and b)
d) Center frequency, stability, phase noise, harmonics, output power
Need some help? Click here for the answers and explanations.