All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder
employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are fresh
out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would
make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed
for a job.
Click here for the complete list of
RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Some material based on books have quoted passages.
This quiz is based on the information presented in Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, by Ramesh Garg, Inder Bahl, and Maurizio Bozzi.
Graciously provided by Artech House
1. What is a principal requirement for a transmission structure to be suitable as a circuit element in a microwave integrated circuit (MIC)?
a) It needs to be rectangular
b) It must be copper plated
c) It is usually much wider than it is long
d) It should be planar in configuration.
2. What are two consequences of the non-TEM behavior of microstrip lines?
a) Effective dielectric constant and impedance are functions of frequency
b) A lower cutoff frequency is established, like with waveguide
c) An upper frequency is established due to the critical angle
d) Their combined effects are negligible
3. Which of the three drawings below represents the highest performance method of transitioning from coaxial connector to microstrip?
(a) (b) (c)
a) Straight inline transition
b) 90° transition
c) Tapered transition
d) All perform the same
4. What is full-wave analysis?
a) Field analysis invoking quasi-static approximations
b) Field analysis not invoking quasi-static approximations
c) Field analysis that include a full wavelength of the lowest frequency
d) Field analysis that include a full wavelength of the highest frequency
5. What happens to the temperature of microstrip as the frequency increases?
a) Thermoelectric dispersion causes cooling
b) Eddy currents in the metal cause heating
c) Dielectric heating causes a temperature rise
d) Frequency has no effect
6. What are examples of discontinuities in microstrip?
a) Open ends and gaps
b) Steps in width and right-angle bends
c) T and cross junctions
d) All the above
7. Where does the wave propagate in a slotline?
a) Along the slot
b) Perpendicular to the slot
c) Above the slot
d) Below the slot
8. What is a Defected Ground Surface (DGS)?
a) An artifact of imperfect substrate fabrication
b) A discontinuity caused by thermal stress
c) An intentional deviation from a continuous flat ground plane.
d) A ground plane that goes over to "the other side"
9. What is the distinguishing feature of a coplanar waveguide?
a) All elements are collocated in the substrate stack
b) All elements are collocated on the same surface of the substrate
c) The waveguide is formed by etching a 3-dimensional channel in the substrate
d) The waveguide section soldered to the substrate inline with the microstrip or stripline
10. What is the name given to a configuration whereby two transmission lines are placed parallel to each other and in close proximity?
a) Coupled line
b) Isolated line
c) Guard band structure
Need some help? Click here for the answers and explanations.