April 1972 Popular Electronics
Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
published October 1954 - April 1985. All copyrights are hereby acknowledged.
Robert Balin created many quizzes
for Popular Electronics over his years with the magazine. This one challenges your ability
to trace out connections without getting confused by crossovers - which is easy to do. Each
of the six-position switches illuminate a different combination of lamps. Your job, if you
accept it, is to figure out which lamps light for positions 1 through 6. A big list of electronics
quizzes is posted near the bottom.
Ganged Switching Quiz
By Robert P. Balin
Electronics hobbyists, especially troubleshooters,
can always use some practice in tracing out circuits that include ganged switches. Unless
you are careful and systematic, it is easy to get confused, lose your way or overlook a component.
Here's a chance to practice this important skill.
The schematic at left contains a 6-position, 3-pole switch, six 6-volt lamps and 6- and
12-volt batteries. As the switch is rotated, determine what combinations of lamps will light
- each to full brightness. The answers are below so cover them up while you work out the circuit.
Note that although the switching function which this circuit performs can be done by a
much simpler circuit (a single 6-volt battery can do the job) such a circuit would be too
simple to be challenging and only unnecessary schematic zig-zagging could make it look more
complicated. Since this quiz is intended to be a training problem, practical considerations
have been ignored.
Popular Electronics published many quizzes over the years
- some really simple and others not so simple. Robert Balin created many of the quizzes.
This is a listing of all I have posted thus far.
- TV Trouble Quiz,
- Electronics History Quiz,
- Scope-Trace Quiz,
March 1965 Popular Electronics
Circuit Analogy Quiz, April 1973
Your Knowledge of Semiconductors, August 1972
- Ganged Switching
Quiz, April 1972
- Lamp Brightness
Quiz, January 1969
- Lissajous Pattern Quiz, September 1963
Quizoo, October 1962
- Electronic Photo Album Quiz, March 1963
- Electronic Alphabet Quiz, May 1963
- Quiz: Resistive?
Inductive? or Capacitive?, October 1960
- Vector-Circuit Matching Quiz, June 1970
Quiz, September 1961
- RC Circuit
Quiz, June 1963
- Diode Quiz,
- Electronic Curves Quiz, February 1963
- Electronic Numbers Quiz, December 1962
- Energy Conversion Quiz, April 1963
Function Quiz, June 1962
Series Circuit Quiz,
Electrochemistry Quiz, March 1966
- Electronic Analogy
Quiz, November 1961
Coupling Quiz, August 1973
- Electronics Analogy Quiz, August 1960
- Audio Quiz,
Unit Quiz, May 1962
Capacitor Circuit Quiz, June 1968
- Quiz on AC Circuit Theory, December 1970
- Magnetic Phenomena Quiz, February 1962
- Electronics Geography Quiz, April 1970
Electronic Menu Quiz, August 1963
- Electronic Noise Quiz, August 1962
- Electronic Current Quiz, October 1963
- Electronic Inventors Quiz, November 1963
Function Quiz, January 1962
- Electronic Measurement Quiz, January 1963
Tube Quiz, February 1961
- Kool-Keeping Kwiz, June
Posted July 6, 2017