October 1963 Electronics World
Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
Electronics World, published May 1959
- December 1971. All copyrights hereby acknowledged.
Thyratrons, klystrons, and magnetrons I've heard
of, but trochotrons, charactrons, tonotrons I ain't heard of. That made this quiz
more of a learning exercise for me than a test of any sort of knowledge possessed.
Heck, I thought an 'ignitron' was a pejorative term for a really dumb techie wannabe.
In all there are 17 types of '-tron' devices given for which to match from a list
of descriptions. You'll probably do better than I did on this quiz that appeared
in the October 1963 issue of Electronics World magazine.
"-Tron" Teasers - An Electronic Quiz
By Robert K. Re
How many electronic devices do you know that end with the suffix "-tron"? Check
your knowledge of the field with this quiz.
Quite a few devices used in electronics today were named using the suffix "-tron"
(electron, cyclotron, etc.).
Out of the many words with this ending, can you match each
1. This special tube is used to generate TV test signals
when stations are off the air.
2. A gas-filled device, this counting tube is widely
used in digital circuits.
3. High currents are rectified in the electroplating
industry with this mercury-cathode diode.
4. Much older than a tunnel diode, this four-electrode
tube exhibits negative resistance in oscillator circuits.
5. Widely used in r.f. circuits, this u.h.f. transit-time
triode is called a "lighthouse" tube because of its shape.
6. Once fired, the grid in this gas-filled tube ceases
to have control over plate current until plate voltage is removed.
7. This is the general name for beam-switching tubes.
It describes the path of the electron in the tube.
8. Operating near absolute zero temperature, this super-conducting
switching element shows great promise for
9. This linear sweep generator, once triggered, will
keep itself turned on until the sweep is completed.
10. Crossed magnetic and electric fields are the key to the
operation of this high-power, high-frequency oscillator.
11. A new device, this special CRT is a direct-viewing storage
tube. Information can be stored for long periods, yet
12. This new class of computer circuits uses multiple phase
"clock" signals to perform majority logic operations.
13. Having one or more tunable cavities, this high-frequency
tube "bunches" the electrons to produce oscillations.
14. This neon lamp is capable of generating short bursts of
15. A special color CRT, this tube has only one gun and uses
phosphor strips in place of phosphor dots.
16. Using a special mask and beam-shaping plate, this CRT can
generate symbols on its face.
17. This new 12-pin subminiature, multi-function vacuum tube
is finding wide use in electronic equipment.
Quizzes from vintage electronics magazines such as Popular
Electronics, Electronics-World, QST, and Radio News were published
over the years - some really simple and others not so simple. Robert P. Balin
created most of the quizzes for Popular Electronics. This is a listing
of all I have posted thus far.
Radio Quiz - December 1947 Radio-Craft
Quiz - October 1955 Radio & Television News
- Electronics Physics
Quiz - March 1974 Popular Electronics
- A Baffling Quiz
- January 1968 Popular Electronics
- Electronics IQ
Quiz - May 1967 Popular Electronics
- Plug and Jack
Quiz - December 1967 Popular Electronics
Switching Quiz - October 1967 Popular Electronics
Angle Quiz - September 1967 Popular Electronics
Electronics Quiz - July 1967 Popular Electronics
- FM Radio
Quiz - April 1950 Radio & Television News
- Bridge Circuit
Quiz -December 1966 Popular Electronics
- Diode Function
Quiz - August 1965 Popular Electronics
- Diagram Quiz,
August 1966 Popular Electronics
- Quist Quiz - November
- TV Trouble Quiz,
July 1966 Popular Electronics
- Electronics History Quiz,
December 1965 Popular Electronics
- Scope-Trace Quiz,
March 1965 Popular Electronics
Circuit Analogy Quiz, April 1973
Test Your Knowledge of Semiconductors, August 1972 Popular Electronics
- Ganged Switching
Quiz, April 1972 Popular Electronics
- Lamp Brightness
Quiz, January 1969 Popular Electronics
- Lissajous Pattern Quiz, September 1963 Popular Electronics
Quizoo, October 1962 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Photo Album Quiz, March 1963 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Alphabet Quiz, May 1963 Popular Electronics
- Quiz: Resistive?
Inductive? or Capacitive?, October 1960 Popular Electronics
- Vector-Circuit Matching Quiz, June 1970 Popular Electronics
Quiz, September 1961 Popular Electronics
- RC Circuit Quiz,
June 1963 Popular Electronics
- Diode Quiz, July
1961 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Curves Quiz, February 1963 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Numbers Quiz, December 1962 Popular Electronics
- Energy Conversion Quiz, April 1963 Popular Electronics
- Coil Function
Quiz, June 1962 Popular Electronics
Co-Inventors Quiz - January 1965 Electronics World
"-Tron" Teasers Quiz - October 1963 Electronics World
- Polarity Quiz
- March 1968 Popular Electronics
I.Q. Quiz - October 1948 Radio & Television News
- Amplifier Quiz
Part I - February 1964 Popular Electronics
Quiz - February 1967 Popular Electronics
Frequency Quiz - September 1965 Popular Electronics
Metals Quiz - October 1964 Popular Electronics
Measurement Quiz - August 1967 Popular Electronics
Quiz, June 1966 Popular Electronics
Geometry Quiz, January 1965 Popular Electronics
Factor Quiz, November 1966 Popular Electronics
Math Quiz, November 1965 Popular Electronics
- Series Circuit
Quiz, May 1966 Popular Electronics
Quiz, March 1966 Popular Electronics
Quiz: Test Your Sales Ability - April 1947 Radio News
Analogy Quiz, November 1961 Popular Electronics
Coupling Quiz, August 1973 Popular Electronics
- Electronics Analogy Quiz, August 1960 Popular Electronics
- Audio Quiz, April
1955 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Unit
Quiz, May 1962 Popular Electronics
Circuit Quiz, June 1968 Popular Electronics
- Quiz on AC Circuit Theory, December 1970 Popular Electronics
- Magnetic Phenomena Quiz, February 1962 Popular Electronics
- Electronics Geography Quiz, April 1970 Popular Electronics
Menu Quiz, August 1963 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Noise Quiz, August 1962 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Current Quiz, October 1963 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Inventors Quiz, November 1963 Popular Electronics
- Resistor Function
Quiz, January 1962 Popular Electronics
- Electronic Measurement Quiz, January 1963 Popular Electronics
- Vacuum Tube Quiz,
February 1961 Popular Electronics
- Kool-Keeping Kwiz, June
1970 Popular Electronics
- Find the Brightest
Bulb Quiz, April 1960 Popular Electronics
Where Do the Scientists Belong? - Feb 19, 1949 Saturday Evening
Answers to "-tron" Teasers
Posted September 15, 2020(original